Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thoughts on Mother's day

I was watching one of the singing reality shows today- oh how they bore me. But I do not have a choice because my sister comes home every Sunday from her hostel and all she does is watch the singing shows. I can go on and on about her obsession but let’s stop here.
They are amazing singers no doubt and today was a special day. It was, rather it still is as I write, Mother’s Day. I called up my mother and wished her and so did my youngest sister in Dharamshala (my younger sister, middle one, doesn’t have time from her singing show).
Coming to the point. As expected it was a special episode dedicated to mothers. Each and every contestant had his or her mother coming on stage and the usual rona-dhona happened. Then this singer called Debojit came. He sang beautifully, though I can’t remember what he sang. Some Kishore da number.
What got me hooked to the show today was the message he had for the people. He said he used to enjoy being pampered by his mother- she would put oil in his hair and give me a head massages, he would sleep in her lap and other things. But he said, “today when I am in a position to do something for my mother, I don’t have maa with me”. His mother is no more. I felt his pain and was so grateful (don’t know to who…I am an agnostic and we have these occupational hazards more often than not) that my mum was still with me, cracking jokes, smiling, scolding me but with me.
It was very touching that he had got some old women from an old age home to be a part of the show. As he sang, all of them cried.
Debojit had a simple message – do not leave your parents in old age homes. “They are like gods and how can you leave them in such a condition,” he said and buried his head in the lap of one of the crying old women. It was truly very moving and for once I forgot that I was watching a stupid show. I called up my mother and she said, “ I have already shed my tears last night.” Turns out we were watching a repeat telecast!
My point – They nearly go mad with joy when you are born. They celebrate your birth like there is no tomorrow, they shed tears when you get hurt, they rejoice in your success. But when you grow up why do you forget each and everything that they have done for you. Why do you make them go mad once again by dumping them in old age homes?

3 comments:

Manas Path said...

देबोजीत का मैसेज सही है लेकिन आज के बिजी यु़ग में कौन इसे मानता है.
बाल्मिकी रामायण में कहा है-

जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी. अर्थात
मां और मातृभूमि स्वर्ग से भी महान होती है.

amu said...

dear tenz, wait till u become a mum yourself. you end up realising the amount and number of times your parents must have sacrificed to inculcate good values in you. it seems like a circle coming full when you sacrifice for your kids and it hits you that your parents must have done the same for you.
love amu

ps: wild yak...hmmm...like it

TN said...

I knw amu if there is anyone who knws this it is you. Thank you for the comment.

Lessons in motherhood

I got my periods today, seven and half months after my baby was born. This includes the 3-4 weeks of bleeding post my C-section. One cou...